Harry Potter Fan Zone's Twitter Page (@hpfz)

Snape’s death scene in ‘Deathly Hallows: Part 2’ altered by filmmakers Snape’s death scene in ‘Deathly Hallows: Part 2’ altered by filmmakers

The location of Snape’s death in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has been changed, according to art director Andrew Ackland-Snow (spoilers below).

The art director, Andrew Ackland-Snow, described to us another set created for the film. […] “We also made the boat house. We wanted to change a bit where Snape dies. In the book, he dies on the Shrieking Shack, and we wanted to get him out from, not a conventional interior, but from that kind of box, to do it in a more dramatic atmosphere. We asked J.K. if she agreed for that to happen in there, because we hadn’t really seen it before. We made a crystal house, and you can see what happens in the boat house from there – Are you listening Harry? -, but also the school is in flames…and she loved it. Besides, it’s a very romantic place to die. Snape dies in a extremely good way, I gotta say.”

Let us know below which location you prefer!

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

With thanks to SnitchSeeker via HPANA.

Comments

1. Matt says:

Really? You’ve got to be kidding me. Does this mean that we only get to glimpse the scene of his death and not witness it as it’s supposed to happen? I’m really disappointed that the directors of the film have really down played Snape’s role in the books so much. I’m also disappointed in J.K. for approving this scene. Thank Merlin for fan fiction…

2. Sirius B says:

What the heck? Have you ever heard the saying “Don’t fix it if its not broken”?
    that probably applies here….

3. excessivelyperky says:

Don’t kid yourself, Rowling has likely been responsible for cutting back Snape’s role more and more as the movies continue. She hates any of us who like Snape, ever since she found out some of us consider him more heroic than Harry–after all, Harry had people who loved and wanted to help him, while Snape died for people who despised him and left him to rot.

She tried to tell people he wasn’t a hero directly after DH came out, only to have to revise her words. Now she’s trying the best she can to make him a nonperson. I doubt very much we’ll ever see that Prince’s Tale flashback; the movie has been set up so Harry can find out anything he needs from the Dumbledore’s portrait. I’ll be surprised if we see Snape’s death at all in the movie. They may have filmed it, but I suspect it’s been left on the cutting room floor, right along with “Don’t call me coward!” Rickman was directed to kill Dumbledore as if he was on Valium. Remember, Harry is the only hero allowed in the films–both Hermione’s and Ron’s parts have been cut to pieces as well (though admittedly they did get quite good bits in DH2). But Snape has never been allowed to be in the films what he was in the books (they also cut out anything bad the Gryffindors ever did in the books, because otherwise people might become quite confused about why they should root for oh, say, the Maruaders or the Weasley twins). Anything about Snape is going to be cut out completely from the movie, I expect.

4. ThatIsHideous says:

What? Why did they do that? They are tearing him into pieces! “Snape dies in a(n) extremely good way”????
    Well, he didn’t! Isn’t that the point? That his life and death were miserable and he still chose to be a martyr? I was so disappointed when he wasn’t even shown longer than 3 minutes in a film that is all about him (Hello, Harry Potter and THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE!) and now everything that could persuade me to watch that film is Alan Rickman’s performance.

I hate that, nowadays, everything has to be overly dramatic even if the story thereby changes. It is all about the story, folks! Especially in a literature-based movie!

5. Sara says:

Get over it people. Rowling agreed. And the films can’t be exactly like the books.

6. jennji says:

Its okey to change some thing to keep the interest or the mystery a movie thats totally the same as in the books isn´t that surprising anymore. I think they change quite alot ( harry and voldemore jumping down from somewhere down) to hold the surprising effect. but to change the location isn´t for keeping the surprise its just not needed. i hope they show enough of his dead and the prince flashback tale because it´s how alot of mysteries and secrets get their reasons! its like the most inportant thing that hold all the books together (or maybe the whole story) if they didn´t but enough from it into the movie they screw it up! its like making a potion and left some of the most important things in it. I love snape i´m a big fan of him and when she, J.K. ,wants to make a nonperson out of him she makes a moron out of herself why make him so important in the books to make him so f**ing no special in the movies that doesn´t make any sence!
    sorry for my bad english it´s not my mothertongue!

7. biggestharrypotterfan says:

You guys are horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I say trust j.k. and the movie makers and don’t complain till you’ve seen it!!!!!!!!!! The movies have turned out great and you’re goin at it like seagulls and bread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO CARES????????????????? we have the great books and the can do whatever they want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Jeez,)

8. thegirlwholived says:

I think its going to be a brilliant film. It is a shame we wont get to see Snapes death, hopefully we can still see the part were Snape says to harry just before he dies ”look…at…me” I think Snape is one of the most important people in this series and all i can say is i hope we see lots of him in part 2. I also think the boat house is a better location. I have to say though, i am really pleased that they have added in a scene of Snape going to godrics hallow that was a BRILLIANT idea. I can totally relate to some people not being happy with the directors and them changing what happend in the book though.

9. snapefan101 says:

it dends how heroic this death is… or if they show the boathouse in snape’s past…
    Honsetly i can careless at lest he has a death sence. However i would love a dule between sev and voldy! I’d love it! :)

10. MissFine says:

Ok so I am a LITTLE upset about not having him die in the original place, BUT think of how great the flim will be when Severus (Alan Rickman) is showing Harry his memories. *sigh* You got to Love Snape. <3

11. Anonymous says:

Nobody said they weren’t going to show his death, the boathouse just happens to be a bit more interesting that a dusty and dirty shack. I bet you he’ll probably die in the same way just different location.

12. Ty says:

I don’t think they’ll inherently change how he died, *Spoiler* I still think Voldermort will get Nagini to kill him or he’ll do it himself but I think we’ll still get to see the death.

13. Tosa says:

And if Rowling approved the scene she obviously thought it was an acceptable way to end the character, seeing as they are her creations. Sometimes movies are a good way to see how it could have been done differently, for better or for worse.

14. Anya says:

I love Snape. And have been a big fan of the character since book four (before that I was still following the crowd and swearing love to the three main characters). Anyway, from the quote it doesn’t sound like we’re not going to see the scene from inside the boat house. It just sounds like it’ll be a little more dramatic with the camera being able to not only see Snape dying but also see Hogwarts in flames. They can’t really cut the scene because Harry needs Snape’s memories and I know they at least shot one of his memories based on the trailers. It was the one where Lily is making a flower bloom in her hand. Hell, who knows the film scene might be better than the book scene. I know I felt a little cheated (although I still cried). All we can do is hope for the best and prepare our hate mail in case of the worst.

15. k_Ch says:

I love the character (and actor) Sev Snape, but i absolutely hate the movie makers for cutting his role to such an extent that we only get to see him for atmost 3-4 minutes in the movies, even though he has such a major role to play. And considering what they did to Snape’s worst memory in HP & OOTP, i would actually be surprised if they show even a bit of the Prince’s tale!! I sincerely hope that changing the set would do some good to the character, and is not just used to focus on the burning school or something like that!!
    I don’t think Ma’am Rowlings’ approval in this case means much! Had it been Harry, Ron Hermione, … or even Lupin for that matter, we could ve assumed that her approval means something good, but knowing that she hates Snape, and hates the fact that many people love him (and i hate anyone who hates Snape :p), we can just not deduce much!
    Hoping for a little good for the character who deserves much better!!

16. A_WP_L says:

I dont think it will be that bad. lets stop complaining and keep it the way it is. I have no clue what game them the idea to change the place like that.
    Lets just hope it will be good.

17. savannah says:

snape is a very important part of the harry potter francise hes always seen as the bad guy but in reallity hes sort of like a double double agent i hated him at first but when all the peices came together and we saw that he was dumbledores man through and through i just hope they give him a proper death scene with the flashbacks etc i wish they would have stayed true to the book because they did change a couple of things and changing the location wasnt really necissary if you no what i mean but i dont care as much about the location as i do about the dialouge and staying true to the book but i wont critisise until ive seen the film

18. naginimustdie says:

firstly, snape is one of the most important characters, harry would be dead if snape didn’t exist and they can’t just cut him out of everything.
    secondly, by saying snape dies in a boathouse is saying that voldy hangs out in a glass boathouse and, he’s voldy. no way. he’s a bit more ninja than that.
    thirdly, there are no boathouses near hogwarts

but if jk’s fine with it, go on with it.

19. JAAACK says:

Snapes death was shown in the movie! But they didn’t show much of him in the movie which was disappointing. All up good movie with great action scenes. Boat shed worked well instead of shreking shack i reckon

20. EliseMalfoy says:

Well, you guys, you have learned your lesson about NOT assuming things that have never been said or anywhere close to said or hinted at or anything. Right? The death scene was pretty amazing. Alan Rickman did a fantastic job and they didn’t cut out anything. I don’t understand how any of you thought they would cut out the Prince’s Tale. It’s a huge part of the story and connecting all the pieces. I mean if you thought that…well that’s just plain stupid. Think things through before you say them and believe them. The scene was great, although it would have been better in the Shack (in my opinion). They stayed true to the book and the dialogue. It was great.

21. pathetic says:

Yeah the death scene was excellent. I’m sorry to see that human beings with nervous systems and brains actually thought that they would cut it out. The boat house being the location was a minor change that I think was for the better because if you re-watch the shack scene from the third movie it just wasn’t that great of a locale on film. (although it was a better place in the book.) Also the way that he died was slightly different but it was better and more sensical than the book’s approach in my opinion. Seriously though… pretty stupid for people to think that they would change it that much.

RSS Feed  Click here for an RSS feed of this comments page.