Starting in 2015, Bloomsbury (UK publisher) and Scholastic (US publisher) will release full-colour illustrated editions of the Harry Potter books. The new editions will feature art from illustrator Jim Kay.
The first novel, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s (Sorcerer’s) Stone was released in October 2015. The second, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was released in October 2016.
The third edition, the Prisoner of Azkaban illustrated edition, was released on 3 October 2017. As of early 2018, Jim Kay has begun work on the Goblet of Fire illustrated edition, which won’t be released until 2019 (a deviation from the usual yearly release schedule).
Choose an illustrated edition below to explore artwork:
Read our review of the ‘Chamber of Secrets’ illustrated edition
Jim Kay on designing the Harry Potter illustrated editions
A lifelong Harry Potter fan, Jim Kay says: ‘From my point of view it is, without doubt, the commission of a lifetime …to design the characters, the clothing, the architecture and landscapes to possibly the most expansive fantasy world in children’s literature, well let’s just say I’m extremely excited about it. However, I am also mindful of the huge responsibility this represents. I want to make sure I do the best job I possibly can.’
Exclusive interview with Jim Kay
- In 2015, we had the chance to interview illustrator Jim Kay: you can read that interview here.
Looking for more book covers and artwork?
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard
- Charity textbooks
- Mary GrandPré’s unreleased artwork